Matthieu Reeb, the General Secretary for the Court of Arbitration for Sport, has confirmed that Manchester City’s appeal against their UEFA sanctions began over video conference earlier today.
City are appealing UEFA’s decision to fine them around £25m and issue a two-year ban from European competition, including the Champions League, for ‘serious breaches’ of Financial Fair Play regulations.
The hearing, conducted remotely due to the coronavirus pandemic, is closed to the public and media, and will take place from yesterday (Monday June 8) until Wednesday (June 10).
According to AFP, Reeb confirmed that the hearing has begun and that the video conferencing arrangement is not posing any problems.
“The hearing has started well and the video conference is working well,” Reeb is quoted as saying.
AFP also claim Reeb added that a verdict could be announced in July, as City wait eagerly to discover their fate.
When MEN Sport contacted CAS last month, Reeb said a timeframe for a verdict is impossible to predict.
He said: “Following the hearing, the Panel will deliberate and will start drafting the Arbitral Award containing its decision. It is not possible to predict at this time how long this process will take.”
Other reports say City may have to wait until August to learn the verdict, but both City and UEFA would be keen to discover the result of the appeal before next season’s Champions League competition begins.
Copyright ©The Daily Bells.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from The Daily Bells.
Receive Alerts Daily on: Whatsapp: +2348025237926, Twitter: @DailyBellsNG,
Contact us today for your adverts, press releases
SMS: +2348060176677, Whatsapp: +2348025237926, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org